2018-04-16

Tarsoly from Birka

Here is my interpretation of the tarsoly from Björkö grave Bj 93B.

The tarsoly is made from vegetable-tanned leather and wool, hand sewed with waxed linen thread and silk. The bronze mounts are from Max at Kvalitativt Krigsbyte, highly recommended!

Anne-Sofie Gräslund call these bags type 3A in Birka II:I. Gräslund wrote that the inner bag was constructed from dark reddish brown coarse wool (5 threads/cm). I've sewn the bag with silk thread in a hand wowen madder dyed tabby weave. The locking bridge is a unusually enough made in iron, a detail I've kept on the reconstruction. It might have been mended or replaced during the life of the tarsoly. The locking bridge is riveted through the cloth and mounted to a leather backing for stability. The original find has traces from a drawstring at the top so I made one as well.
I hope you like it!

Birka grave 93 published on Historiska museet:
http://mis.historiska.se/mis/sok/kontext.asp?kid=145
Inger Zachrisson, "Väskan från Röstahammaren i Ås och gravfältets etniska tillhörighet"

No comments:

Post a Comment